This temple was named Kohzusan Iouin Hohkongohji-Temple. According to books of this temple, it was founded as Jishoji-Temple by Gohrin-Daitoku in 829. After that, It was restored by Ikkai who is a monk of the Godaiji-Temple in the late Heian period and renamed Hohkongohji-Temple by imperial order of Emperor Gonara in 1555.
It flourished as a structure which the Gohohjo family pray at. Later, Tokugawa Ieyasu donated twenty-two koku as a territory of Kohzu-goma hall (current the main hall of this temple), and it had thirty-one branch temples. It belongs to the Tohji-Shingon Sect of Buddhism, and its head temple is Tohji(Kyouougokoku-ji) in Kyoto. It was a place which was prayed for an easy delivery of Anntoku Emperor’s mother.