Profile of Hohkongohji
This temple is formally named Kohzusan Iouin Hohkongohji-Temple, was founded by the priest Gohrin-Daitoku in 829 and belongs to Shingon sect of Esoteric Buddhism which was founded by the priest Kukai or Kohboh-Daishi during the ninth century or Heian period. The headquarter of the sect is Tohji-Temple or Kyoohgokokuji-Temple in Kyoto which was celebrated its splendid 1,200 year anniversary in 1995. In the 12th century, the Tairas believed in the Jizo-Bosatsu (Ksitigarbha) of this temple. The ancient document in our hands indicated that Shigemori Taira had prayed for the healthy delivery of the later Emperor Antoku.
This temple used to be called Jishoji-Temple. However, in 1556 Emperor Gonara issued an imperial order to change the name to the present Hohkongohji-Temple.
In addition to the above Jizo-Bosatsu, the principal image of the temple, we have various valuable and important Buddhist images, archives and paintings.